Wasp-love has swept the nation like we’d never have predicted! We are overwhelmed with the enthusiasm for the Big Wasp Survey 2018! Thank you, citizen scientists of the UK!
But with so many people now registered (there is lots of wasp love out there!), we’ve had to take the difficult decision to close registration for 2018. We’d love to keep going, but we simply don’t have the resources to be sure that we can process all the insects you’re about to send us!
For those who have registered, we are HUGELY excited about your sampling and are looking forward to seeing the packages of insects flying via our FREEPOST address to our labs in the next week or so. If you’ve not activated your registration, please do so now to secure your place.
Top Big Wasp Survey tips:
- Do leave your trap out for the full 7 days, even if you think it’s ‘full’!
- Do put your catch in the freezer overnight when you’ve drained them, to be sure they are all dead.
- Do send us ALL the organisms in your catch – we need to know if your trap is attracting things other than wasps.
- Do fill in ALL the details on the online form – we need this information to make your samples useful for analyses.
- Don’t send us random wasps you collected OUTSIDE of your trap – they are no use to us (Sorry! But thanks for your enthusiasm!)
- Don’t forget to send us your catch ASAP! We’ll be sorting in earnest from mid-September onwards.